Studio Materials 2

Studio Materials 2

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Big Edit



I've been working on some small paintings, some done en plein air, some done in the studio, where my main objective is to simplify what I am seeing. This is no small task. Our eyes and brain are programed to observe the details of life. Editing seems to go against our Human MO.

It helps when I squint my eyes so that I can see the simplicity of the shapes and value structure. Using large brushes, at least 3/4 inch wide flats, has also helped the process of keeping it simple. This brush size still allows for a fair amount of control, but I'm also having a wonderful time creating sweeping, expressive marks which convey the essence of the thing I am painting rather than the details.  So far, I've come up with two 10 x 8 paintings that I am happy with. One was done mostly on location, the other was finished entire;ly in the studio from photographs. Can you tell which is which?



       

No comments:

Post a Comment